150g caster sugar
finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
300ml pouring cream, plus extra, to serve
4 eggs, separated
Soft butter, for greasing
¼ cup raspberry jam, warmed
1. Place breadcrumbs, 15gm [3 tsp] caster sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl and stir to combine well.
2. Place milk and cream in a large saucepan and bring to a rapid simmer, then gently fold in breadcrumb mixture. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk egg yolks until frothy, then, whisking continuously, gradually add to cooled breadcrumb mixture. Pour mixture into a greased 2-litre ovenproof dish or six 1-cup-capacity ovenproof dishes. Bake large pudding at 170C for 30 minutes and small puddings at 170C for 15 minutes, or until just set.
4. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes, then carefully spread warm raspberry jam over pudding/s and set aside.
5. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until thick and glossy. Spoon meringue over pudding, making sure meringue reaches edge of dish, then return to oven and bake large pudding for another 15 minutes and small puddings for another 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden.
6. Serve queen of puddings lukewarm or at room temperature, with extra pouring cream passed separately.
Thanks to Gourmet Traveller for this recipe!