For the Spiced Apple Sauce:
2 green apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup (60mL) water
1 tbs sugar
2 tsp bitter
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp mixed spice
1. Preheat oven to 250C. Weigh pork to calculate cooking time (30 mins per 500g).
2. Rub salt into skin of pork, pushing it into slits. Season with black pepper. Place pork on a rack in a baking dish and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200C and roast for another 55 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, maked Spice Apple Sauce by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until fruit is pulpy. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Serve with sliced roast pork and steamed mixed beans.
- Ask your butcher to score the pork rind for you.
- For perfect crackling, rub salt liberally into the rind.
- If the pork is becoming too dark, cover it in foil.
Thanks to Australian Table for the recipe!